Will Writing Guide
HOW DO I MAKE A WILL
It’s a very straightforward process and can take as little as a half hour meeting with a solicitor. A straightforward single will typically costs around £150 plus VAT – the cost will increase with the complexity of the arrangements and a will can be updated & amended at any time.
I DON’T THINK I HAVE MUCH TO LEAVE TO ANYONE
Those of you who doubt whether they’ll leave much of an estate only have to look at the value of their home and consider any life insurance policies and pension death in service benefits to appreciate it could be much more than you think.
BEYOND YOUR OWN FAMILY
You might also want to consider leaving a legacy which goes beyond your own family. Charities rely on donations in wills and The Mactaggart Leisure Centre is no exception. You may have personally experienced benefits of its many services & activities such as Aquacare therapy. Maybe your children have learned to swim there or worked as a lifeguard to earn their first pay cheques before moving on. They may have had a memorable birthday party there It’s a great thing to leave something behind that will allow you to play a part in the future long after you have gone.
FIVE THINGS TO REMEMBER WHILE WRITING YOUR WILL
- Speak to a solicitor – don’t try to do it yourself because you can create more of a mess than if you didn’t have a will.
- Who are you leaving things to – think of it as a cake. You are giving slices to people you want to share your estate with. If you have a small amount left at the end, leave that to your favourite charity. It’s easy.
- Tell your family – you are encouraged to have that conversation with your family. And if you are leaving money to a charity explain that to your family.
- Think about guardians –think about who looks after your children if you are not there
- Set aside time and money –writing a will is straightforward and not very expensive. It costs about £150 and you can get it done in an hour
FINAL STEPOnce you have thought and drafted your will, contact a solicitor and book an appointment the next time they visit Islay or Jura. The following regularly visit:
- Stewart Balfour & Sutherland (Campbeltown) – Contact is David Leishman Telephone: 01586 552871
- Mactaggart & Co (Largs) – Contact Robin Mactaggart 01475 674646
GET IN TOUCH
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions, or would like to know more about leaving a gift in your will.
You can contact our friendly Gifts in Wills team on 01496 810 924 or